Born and raised in Vail, Colorado skiing was a close second to walking. The mountain was my playground, the ski school and race programs were my daycare. I started out as a ski racer but my passion was in the powder. In high school I traded off between race skis and tele skis, finally committing to a broken binding for the next six years. I competed in big mountain telemark competitions, winning the Grand Targhee Telemark big mountain event 5 years in a row.
In pursuit of more work experience I moved to Alta Utah, where I locked my heel down and juggled life as a ski bum and Alta clinic nurse. It was there that I found a love for backcountry skiing and big airs, and most importantly friendships that fostered growth in my skiing.
I am continuously trying to find balance between my career as a Nurse and my passion for the mountains. I currently reside in Sun Valley, Idaho, I work in the Emergency Room in the summer and ride my bike everyday in between. This allows me to cut back as a nurse in the winter months so I can have as many days on snow as possible. My ultimate dream as a skier is to film, documenting big mountain and backcountry lines. I am so fortunate to have been raised in the mountains and be a part of a mountain community!
- Doughnuts or Bagels? Both. Maple old Fashion, Everything bagel
- Home mountain range? Gore Range, but have an ever growing obsession for the Pioneers
- Fur-baby? Rustler, Aussie/Collie/Heeler. He’s got to be part fox as well.
- Favorite trail / mountain? My favorite go-to, that clears my mind and makes me smile, Forbidden Fruit. I don’t have just one favorite mountain, but my favorite run in any condition would have to be Alta’s High Rustler.
- Go-to aprés beverage? IPA
- Day Job? Emergency Room Nurse
Follow Lucy's Adventures @lucysack