Skiing has been an integral part of my life since before I was born. I grew up in South Lake Tahoe, CA to a family of skiers, ski raced at a young age, switched to acro/ballet skiing (yes, ballet skiing!) and mogul skiing, and eventually discovered freeride skiing. After obtaining a degree in Molecular and Cellular Biology in Boulder, CO, I took a job at a cancer research center in Seattle, WA and eventually switched industries and worked as the microbiologist at a brewery in Seattle. I currently work as a Fermentation and Research Scientist in the beverage industry. I work a couple of side hustles too: I coach adult women's and youth freeride skiing clinics and do a lot of outdoor athlete modeling for brands. While living in Washington, I have started rock climbing, mountain biking, backcountry skiing, and ski mountaineering. I enjoy a good sufferfest, and I like to challenge myself with big goals, entering competitions, formal certifications, and pushing my personal limits. A huge part of my interests with recreating outside include stewardship and advanced education in outdoor sports, namely avalanche education/snow safety, rock rescue skills, and trail stewardship. Through these passions, I created the Snowpack Scholarship Program with SheJumps and the Northwest Avalanche Center to provide affordable avalanche education to women in the Pacific Northwest. The Snowpack Scholarship has successfully helped more than 100 women obtain official avalanche certifications and continues to grow as a program since it was founded in 2018.
- Doughnuts or Bagels? Bagels! The perfect vessel for almond butter, peanut butter, or cream cheese and fresh berries.
- Home mountain range? I am originally from the Sierras, but I consider the North and Central Cascades to be my home now.
- Fur-baby? My friends have an incredible adventure pup who is my favorite. His name is Canyon.
- Favorite trail / mountain? MTB trail = Mayday and Loam Star at 27. Mountain = front-side of The King at Crystal Mountain (inbounds) or anything in the Cascade Pass area (backcountry).
- Go-to Aprés Beverage: A fresh session-able pale ale or craft pilsner or lager, please!
- Day Job? Research Scientist: I specialize in fermentation science and sensory science of beer and hard seltzer, and work in a lab to prototype innovative beverages. Coffee and beer are my main research interests.
Follow Krystin's Adventures @krystinnorman