Growing up in Connecticut, I truly never thought of the outdoors. I started teaching myself graphic design at a young age and loved spending time on my computer making Myspace layouts or playing around on photoshop. I started running track and field in highschool and fell in love with sprinting! I eventually went on to become a Division 1 400 meter hurdler for Iowa State University where I received my bachelor's degree in Creative Advertising. After graduating college, I moved to Colorado at 22 and was blown away at how much everyone loved the outdoors. Growing up in an overwhelmingly white area, I didn't think I had a place in outdoor sports. I didn't know anyone who looked like me who did them and I frankly didn't have the access or time, and couldn't afford the gear. Living in Boulder changed that for me. My friends introduced me to climbing and from there, I was hooked. I loved being outside and touching mountains, feeling dirt on my hands, pushing my bike up crazy trails. All of it.
It feels weird to think I went camping, hiking, climbing, biking, and skiing for the first time at 23 but I'm so grateful I took that chance. Now, I am working in the outdoor industry as a Product Designer and I coach climbing at a local gym. I just received my PSIA Level 1 Ski Instructor certification and working towards becoming a certified Mountain Biking instructor as well. My goal is to help others find their place and voice in the outdoors! The sports that I never imagined doing have defined who I am and changed my life for the better. I'm looking forward to continuing to build my community of badass women looking to have fun in the mountains!
Doughnuts or Bagels? Yes to Doughnuts, specifically glazed or chocolate icing with sprinkles! (I love sweets)
- Home mountain range? Living in Boulder, I'm lucky to call the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains my home
- Furbaby? Two crazy kitties, Paka and Nara
- Favorite trail / mountain? As a newbie biker, I'm having fun exploring all of the trails that the Front Range has to offer. I love skiing new mountains each season but Steamboat and Winter Park will always be my favorites
- Go-to aprés beverage? If I'm skiing, a nice Bloody Mary with bacon and extra olives. Or if I'm biking, I love a good sour beer!
- Day Job? Product Designer at Outside
Follow Alyssa's adventures at @__alyssagonzalez